This canal's 47 miles from Mauch Chunk to Easton were constructed 1827-1829. Here the Lehigh Canal connected with the Delaware Canal to Philadelphia, and with the Morris Canal to New York. Vital to the transport of anthracite coal and to the rise of the anthracite iron industry, the Lehigh Canal was in full operation until 1932, and in partial operation 10 years longer. This section was fully restored, 1976.
From Easton Hugh Moore Park