Easton Peace Candle Lighting Nov 2007
On the northeast corner of Northampton and Second Streets is the Bachmann Tavern, the oldest building remaining in the city. The land deed was secured from the Penns on November 17, 1754 by John Bachmann, its builder. The building served as a tavern and long time residence of George Taylor, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The tavern was visited by George Washington and Ben Franklin. It was, like many taverns, a social center of colonial times, and often served as a courtroom until the original courthouse was completed in 1765.